We have a song (seriously?) which tells the directions better (take it away Tony)
Five miles fae Kilmarnock,
Five miles fae Troon,
Five miles fae Irvine
And every other toon.
They’re diggin’ up the quarry,
Must be five miles doon.
Naw, there’s never been a village
Author Well Known, just a bit modest
History? Besides the castle, Dundonald was a small village until the 1950’s when Glasgow was rebuilt after the World War II. Now perfectly situated for a buzzing commuter village it is exploding in size. Going back to just before the shipping industry when Troon (Gaelic for ‘nose’, see the map) was built up as a harbour town, the boundaries of Dundonald Parish extended to include Troon and as far north as the River Irvine. Even today, through an oversight when the Parish was split into counties, the Lady Isle remains under the lands of Dundonald.
During the shipping industry, Dundonald was a hive for smugglers and a common trail can be walked showing the paths outlaws tried to avoid the Exciseman over the wooded hills, we call The Glen, between Dundonald and the shore.